A cool little 28 page booklet with 10 suggested excursions by car along the Côte d’Azur and surrounding areas for tourists and visitors.
I found this booklet at the used book market in Nice (where I find so much stuff). It’s not dated but I’m guessing it is from the 1950s based on the graphics and photos. It was published by Comité Régional du Tourisme (Regional Tourism Committee) and the Fédération des Syndicats d’Initiative (Federation of Tourist Information Offices). It measures 12cm wide by 21cm tall and is printed on plain paper (the covers use a slightly glossy paper).
The booklet contains 10 suggested routes which can be travelled by car. They cover the entire Alpes-Maritimes department, all the way from the coastal cities of Cannes, Antibes and Nice up in the high mountain villages of Saint-Étienne-de-Tinée, Saint-Martin-Vésubie and Tende. Almost every village in the entire department is included in one or more of the routes.
Each of the suggested routes includes a detailed map and a list of each of the towns and villages you will pass through on your adventure. For each of the villages there is a list of sites which you will want to see. I’m quite impressed with the diversity and thoroughness of everything. If you were to follow each of these 10 routes you’d see about everything there is to see in the Alpes-Maritimes department.
It’s also fun to the look at the old ads. They’re very simple and basic but still sort of elegant in their own way. There are ads for Autocars Santa, a Shell gas station in Nice, Funel perfumes, Arthur drinks, Bateaux Gallus and the S.N.C.F.
Here are the 10 outings listed in the booklet:
1. La Côte Niçoise de Nice à Menton
2. La Côte Cannoise
3. Les Collines de Vence et de Grasse
4. Dans les Mimosas de Cannes et Chez les Moutons de la Campagne Grassoise
5. Dans les Oliviers de la Campagne Niçoise
6. Sports d’Hiver et Villégiature d’Été à Beuil et Valberg
7. Auron et son Téléphérique
8. Les Grandes Alpes Niçoise autour de Saint-Martin-Vésubie
9. Dans les Forêts de Sapins de Pëira-Cava et les Citronniers des Collines de Menton
10. Les Terres Recouvrées de Tende et La Brigue
The booklet is in French.
[click on any image to see sample pages]